Packed with assorted nutrients this citrus fruit is renowned for its cosmetic and health benefits. With little home gardening you can start growing real lemon tree indoors.
Next time when you squeeze lemon, don’t throw its seed. Instead use them to grow surplus lemons at your reach.
With dark green leaves and yellow fruits indoor lemon tree can beautify your place. Filled with antioxidants, vitamin C and B, lemon juice can boost your immune systemand make your skin supple.
This small guide will help you to grow lemon indoor and outdoor.
How Can You Grow Lemon Tree From Seed?
You can buy seeds from organic store to start your own garden, but here the fun part is that you can use leftover lemon seeds.
Step: #1 How to collect and process seeds?
Experts recommend using seeds of organic lemon fruit, as it tends to clone most taste and juice from mother tree.
Now, clean lemon seeds with a tissue paper and let it dry for a couple of days. If you don’t dry it may not germinate, because of fungus.
Step: #2 Planting Lemon Seedlings
Select a container of 5 inches deep and 4 inches wide, if you’re planning for a small lemon tree. Else take 8 x 8 inches container.
- Fill the container with organic fertilizer and soil.
- Plant the dried lemon seeds in the pot about ½ inches deep.
- Lemon seedlings germinate in a sunny environment. So, shift your lemon pot to a warm place.
- When the seeds start germinating, shift nearby window as the plant needs sunlight. (It requires about 5-6 hours of sunlight)
Note: It takes about 4 years to produce lemon fruit. But, you can make this process fast by supplying required amount of nitrogen, fertilizers and sunlight.
Step #3: Outdoor Planting
Initially, check the weather if your lemon seedling can survive or not.
Late winter or early spring is the best climate to plant lemon tree.
When the lemon tree out grow your container, then it’s time to transplant it to outdoor.
- Dig 3 x 3 inches deep hole and transplant lemon tree along with its soil.
- Cover with soil and fill with organic fertilizers.
- Water regularly.
Ideal temperatures for planting lemon tree
Ideal Cliamte: 77° to 86° F
Cold Climate: 25° to 30° F
Hot Climate: Up to 104° F
Please share your experience of growing lemon tree from seed in comment section below.